How to Get People to Unsubscribe from Your Email List in 60 Seconds or Less - Desk of Katina Davenport

How I feel when I get too much email. I just kind of stare in the distance.

I suffer from email overload. I sign up for offers and get tons of value but, then it happens. I end up with 2,000 emails mostly from an abundance of specific group of online marketers, coaches, spiritual leaders, and Bloggers.

Right now I’m a bit paralyzed. Here’s my predicament. I’m a Blogger who strongly believes in list building. In fact that’s part of my current free offer. I’m the type of person who wants to respect others in their efforts. But seriously some people are doing way too much.

There was a long discussion in a group that I’m in and I felt compelled to write something since I am going through this right now.

1.Send an email everyday sometimes twice a day or more.

That could get you released from my inbox. If I subscribe to your email, I seriously want to be on your list and learn from you. I don’t like unsubscribing, especially if I have to let go of someone that I really looked up to. This happened about 2 months ago. I felt like I was firing my best friend.

2.You start trying to make people take action by playing on their emotions for not signing up with your program.

I fired someone from my email box because of this very reason. Anytime I see this person online I get turned off. I actually wanted to see more of how I could work with this person but, it didn’t work out.

3.If I can clearly see you are promoting an email list for another marketer.

I had this happen to me within the past couple of weeks. Apparently another marketer was offering some sort of incentive to several Bloggers to help build some momentum behind this particular launch. So, I received 4 emails from different Bloggers promoting a particular webinar. I was floored. Why? I thought they knew better than that. I hold these Bloggers in high regard and I would have never thought I would be approached with the same content. I haven’t unsubscribed yet but I was close.

home-office

I know that we can never control how people will continue with us after our initial email from the free offer. However there are things you can do to put forth your best emailing effort.

Create an awesome freebie with tons of value. Some freebies are made for retailers, restaurants, or brick and mortar businesses. They might offer coupons of sorts to get people on their lists. My favorite restaurant in Michigan, Andiamo, does a good job with this. They keep me informed about upcoming dinner and show nights.

Checklist, courses, and challenges are usually made for the online creatives or those who offer some sort of service.   These offers should be an incentive to get people to continue as your subscribers because they are expecting to receive useful information.

Continue to offer value in your email. If you will be sending links to your blog post make sure it’s a great post that educates and inspires your list to want to do complete actions that are working for you.

Every email shouldn’t be a buy, buy, buy kind of thing. No one really wants to be sold to over and over.

I believe it is within our duty as online entrepreneur to use email responsibly. Whether you offer your own products or affiliate products you don’t want to become that person who makes their readers feel crummy for not taking action. I think people forget that words are powerful and they can be used to manipulate. To me, scarcity tactics can be a little stressful. Take it from me. If I subscribe to your list. I want to be connected to you. I feel as if I can really learn from you so don’t be that person.

Do you understand how I feel? I would like to invite you to be a part of my new campaign. I’m offering a free checklist and 3 day mini course by mail. I will be covering email list building in the campaign. If you decide to be a part of this campaign, I be emailing you for the duration of the course and eventually asking you to purchase an eBook should you wish to pursue any of the strategies I’ve offered in depth. Click here to sign up. After that you may hear from me 3 times per month ( roughly).

In this post I reveal the things that bother me about email lists. It's ironic because I strongly believe in email list. It's just that some are emailing too much. Read how I feel about my email list.

How to Get People to Unsubscribe from Your Email List in 60 Seconds or Less

16 thoughts on “How to Get People to Unsubscribe from Your Email List in 60 Seconds or Less

• February 26, 2016 at 8:52 am

I haven’t started an email list yet for this exact reason. I am so worried I’ll do something “wrong” and people will unsubscribe in droves.
    Plus I’m not sure I have anything that interesting to say just yet. It’s a goal for this year though.

• February 26, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi Becky. One of the things you can do is send out useful tips that you will not share on your blog. It is like having exclusive content that is specifically for your subscribers.

• February 26, 2016 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the follow on twitter, or else I would not have found this article. As a new blogger I struggle with what to send, when to send, so these tips were really helpful. Plus I love the title of the article 🙂 Pinned so I can remember later, thank you!

• February 26, 2016 at 10:22 am

Wonderful! Glad to have found you. I have visited your site as well.

• February 25, 2016 at 9:48 pm

I feel like I unsubscribe from someone daily! As a new blogger trying to build my this was incredibly helpful – I don’t ever want to become that annoying inbox flooder. Thank you for sharing!

• February 26, 2016 at 10:26 am

You won’t be annoying. Once you put yourself in your readers shoes then you will be just fine as an emailer…if that’s a word 🙂

• February 25, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Newbies like myself count on you kind of honesty! Thanks for sharing some insight on this! Do you just share a link to your blog post to you email subscribers or do you include a longer excerpt from the post?

• February 26, 2016 at 10:27 am

I share a thought about my blog post…maybe why I wrote it or how the blog post can benefit the subscriber.

• February 25, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I am right there with you! If I get more than 1 email in a day from the same person…UNSUBSCRIBE 🙂

• February 26, 2016 at 10:28 am

I totally understand.

• February 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

OMG! I just un subscribe from a few email list because they sent an email. EVERYDAY! It drove me crazy!

• February 18, 2016 at 2:19 pm

You’re not alone! lol. I have to put that on my to-do-list. I need an admin that can do this for me.

• February 18, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Preach!! #1 gets me every time. Especially when a lot of bloggers will say they’ll only reach out X amount of times per month– 3 emails a day later, I kindly unsubscribe.

• February 18, 2016 at 2:20 pm

The only time I do a lot of emails is with the free mini-course as I have stated in the post. Other than that, I don’t like to send a lot of emails.

• February 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Love this! There are some great tips in here of what NOT to do and what to do to have an effective email list. I quickly went to your three points of things not to do since I was like WAIT AM I DOING THOSE?? As soon as I realized I wasn’t (woohoo!) I went back and read through everything and love the advice you have! Thank you!

• February 18, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Trust me Megan! I know! I must always make sure that I am not annoying anyone on my list. Thank you for stopping by and reading.