This post contains affiliate links. For more information click here.
Affiliate marketing is one the most profitable monetization strategy for bloggers. Selling other people’s products is much easier than blocking off time in your schedule to create a course, eBook, or handle shipment details.
Affiliate marketing is one of the first monetization strategies I have ever used. I still use this strategy. I find products and software that will help any of the business savvy bloggers that land on my blog. I am also careful to recommend products that I am already using or have already used.
So what is affiliate marketing?
It is an arrangement a blogger or online business can make with a seller to earn commissions on sales, leads, or clicks.
In this post, I want to share with you how you can standout with your content as an affiliate marketer to become successful with monetizing your blog.
I’m going to cover topics such as:
- Keyword research and how consistently using this approach will give you traffic for years to come.
- How to create a different angle in your content.
- Writing exceptional content.
- Understanding the value of your affiliate product and blog content.
- Standing out with video.
1. Keyword Research for Affiliate Marketing and Content
I’ve mentioned the importance of keyword research in another post on creating epic content. Having the proper keywords will be the driving force to getting your content found in the search engines in the long-run.
I recommend you use keyword research as a strategy to help you attract readers and convert them into customers. Why? Free traffic is important to a busy mom on a budget. It’s important to any blogger that is just starting. You will be able to invest back in your business with paid advertisement once commissions from affiliate sales begin coming in.
Keyword research is also an important tool you will need in order to find out what products or services your audience need.
I want to show you how to use a tool that will help you understand the needs of your audience. You can get blog post and affiliate product ideas from this tool. It’s called Answer the Public. Here is how to use it:
- Go to Answer the Public
- Type in the keyword or short phrase you are searching for.
- Choose your location.
- Look at the visual graph. It will literally pull all of the questions people are asking as they search Google.
- Create a blog post and/or find an affiliate product based on the questions that are being asked online.
Take a look at this short tutorial.
Choosing the best keywords will set you a part from the competition when your site begins to rank better than those that are not using the right keywords. Best of all, you can be making money in your sleep with this method. Here are all the places where you should be using keywords:
- YouTube Videos (tags, title, and descriptions)
- Pinterest Boards
- Landing Pages
- Blog post URL Permalink
- Meta Description
- Within the body of your text
- Blog Titles
2. How to Have a Different Angle With Your Content
Having a different angle with your content will definitely set you apart from the competition. The main way you can do this is to pay close attention to what your audience in your niche is specifically asking for.
Let me be honest. It will definitely take time to study the needs of your audience and test out potential affiliate products. However, if you want to standout be sure to keep this as a part of your blogging routine. It helps to create a file where you can make note of the specific needs of your audience and the language they are using. I keep a swipe file in a spreadsheet for easy referencing.
Here’s an example. Let’s say you are writing about blogging and how to start a blog. A different approach would be how to start and launch a blog with subscribers already established on the launch date.
This would answer the question of how to have get an audience when you’re a new blogger. So, from this example you can see how you can formulate your approach to writing your content.
When you follow up your content with an affiliate product to help your audience you have a winning combination. Remember, first hand knowledge and experience with an affiliate product is always best in affiliate marketing. However, one of the best components of affiliate marketing is being able to offer your audience products that will suit their needs. So, you can certainly offer products that you have never used, but believe can solve their problem.
3. Writing Your Content to Promote Affiliate Products
Writing exceptional content with well researched keywords is what you should be concentrating on as a blogger and affiliate marketer. Your content should show your expertise. It should also solve a problem. I know I say that a lot, but there is always a problem to be solved. There will always be someone searching for the information that you are sharing.
People are always looking for how-to’s and tutorials. For example, I am looking for information on how to patch up a hole in the wall (at the time of this writing). Unfortunately, one of my children opened the door too hard and there’s a tiny hole behind the door. When I type in “how to patch a whole in the wall” in Google, I expect to see an in depth tutorial that is easy to follow. I wouldn’t expect to read a blog post about how your child put a hole a wall. It wouldn’t solve my problem. That is what you should be thinking about when writing your content.
If you can provide detailed tutorials or how-to guides in your niche it will set you apart from the other bloggers who are simply sharing their thoughts and adding affiliate links.
Having the right content is key to being found online. You will also need to become clear about the value of your affiliate product. The next section discusses how you can convey the value of the product you are promoting with a value proposition statement.
4. Understand the Value of Your Affiliate Product
Once you have purchased and used the affiliate product it is time to convey the value of that product to your readers.
Before you begin thinking about the value of the product here is what you should have done first. Did you take the time to figure out the value of what you write on your blog? You should be assessing the value you provide in your blog posts including the free offers you use to get people on your email list. All of this works together to bring clarity to how you can help your reader.
Here is how you can create a value proposition for your blog (in a simple way).
What is a value proposition? Value proposition is a marketing term. It is a statement of how your product, service, or blog can solve someone’s problem. This statement must have specific benefits that your reader can identify with. Ultimately, you should also be able to convey why someone should buy from you or read your blog posts This is something that you can use on:
- Your blog’s homepage
- Landing Page
- Sales Page
- Social Media
- Blog Posts
You can create your value proposition statement using these questions. I would recommend using some space in your journal to write the answers to these questions.
- What are you writing about?
- Who are you writing for?
- Why would anyone want to read your blog?
- What are you selling?
- Who is it for?
- Why would anyone want to buy from you?
- Why does your audience need this product?
Using this will help you standout from the noise of other blogging affiliate marketers.
Also, if you take the time to ask your audience what products they find valuable you will be surprised at what you discover.
For example, I asked my blogging group which product or service they found most valuable. I discovered they would rather have courses and eBooks.
Also, you should find out if your audience is looking for something that might save them time or money.
If you really want to standout and win big in affiliate marketing you should start using video as a strategy. Let’s look at how to do it.
5. Using Video in Affiliate Marketing
If it seems like you are hearing that you should be using video as part of your marketing strategy all of the time, you are correct. Video converts like crazy. It is one of the foremost marketing strategies you should be using as a blogger who sells affiliate products.
If you’re wondering how you can use video as part of your marketing strategy, here are a few ideas.
- Turn your blog posts into YouTube videos. Take the bullet points in your posts and use those as tips to talk about in your video. Add any affiliate links you have used in your blog posts. Just be sure to mention the product in your video and explain the value of the product to your audience.
- You can also create tutorials on how to use certain products or tools that you recommend in your blog posts.
- If the affiliate program is robust enough you can host webinars teaching on a certain aspect of the program. For example, there are membership programs available on Clickbank and JVZoo. By the way, these are sites where you can sign up to choose products, services, and programs to partner with as an affiliate. If the program is within your niche you could teach what you know about the subject in a webinar and recommend the program at the end. You could still offer that webinar for free on YouTube. Undoubtedly, viewers will want to know more about what you’re teaching. So, use the description box to drive traffic to your affiliate link or page that contains your affiliate link.
- You can create a sales video to promote your affiliate products, just like many of the reputable entrepreneurs. Sales videos might sound a lot scarier than it actually is. Remember, you should already understand the value of the product. This will help you when you are creating your sales video. If you follow a template, write it out, and rehearse it you will discover how easy it is to create a sales video of your own.
Below is a template I have created to help get you started.
Script For a Sales Video
If you are a little shy and can get over your shyness then you will certainly standout. Are you ready to try making a sales video?
As promised, here is a template you can follow:
Tired of [Insert the problem that your product will solve]. Then look no further or I have the solution for you. Here you will be creating anticipation on what you are going to further discuss in the video at the end when you offer your solution.
Next, tell your story that sympathizes with your audiences situation. If you don’t have a relevant story of your own use a testimony from a client or customer.
Think about it. Can you afford to [insert the problem]? Instead you can get your copy or access to [insert the product and a benefit that will solve the problem].
With this report you will be able to [list results from using the eBook, program, or course.] If you are using a talking head video be sure to reinforce with text slides and bullet points. You can also insert video visuals from Pixabay. Just search for free videos you can use.
You can also use this opportunity to show them what they will get inside. Give them an inside look by sharing your screen. Be sure to put a link in the description box if you are using this video on YouTube.
You must also tell your audience you are promoting an affiliate link in your video whether it is a webinar, tutorial, or sales video. Check for compliance rules here.
Note: this is only a template. You should only use this as guide. By all means add your own creativity and language your audience uses for the best results. You might have to play with this a little to come up with the right script that fits your business.
Video is what set many bloggers a part from those that do not use it. Video will help people to know more about you. People like to be able to put a face to a name or words on a page. It builds the know, like, and trust factor.
Has this post helped you? Be sure to share with someone else who may need this post.