When blogging becomes series business you need a way to keep you on track and consistent with your new lifestyle. As a homeschool mom I am constantly merging my blogging life with my family life. Having a system that allows me to see my family schedule along side my content calendar is key to getting it all done. Well, I may not get all my tasks done but at least I can see what needs to be done and make adjustments.
The way I organize my blogging lifestyle with my family schedule is through Trello. I can plan all of my content across social media, gather ideas for photos to include on my blog, relevant links, and information in one place. Along with that I can plan my family’s schedule to see where blogging can fit with all of the things that I need to do.
There are several ways you can do this. You can plan your content manually by hand in a physical calendar. Or you can use an online system that will allow you to gather ideas, photos, links, and information in one organized place. The system that I have started using is Trello and here’s how you can use it.
What is Trello
Trello is a project management website that allows you to share projects and information with others that are on your team. It comes with a calendar system that allows you to set due dates. Trello helps you to stay organized by using their to-do-list system. Every task can be easily viewed within on the calendar to help you stay on target with due dates and times.
What Can Trello Be Used For
Trello can be leveraged as a content calendar for your blog and organizer for personal tasks. I use Trello to organize my blogging schedule as well as promotions on social media sites. I also correspond this information with important tasks to remember for my family.
In this post I am going to show you how I quickly set up my blogging tasks as well as coordinate my family schedule. to leverage Trello as a content calendar.
Setting up Your Calendar
- After signing up with Trello you will be prompted to create your first board. Create a general name for your board such as content calendar or family schedule.
- The next step is to set your first item on your to do list for your board. You will find a box that says “Add list”. Name the list whatever you want to name it and click save. For example, you can name your item “blog content.”
- Now you will notice the instruction to set up a card. Name the card. I usually pick a name such as YouTube video ideas, or a blog post title.
- It’s time to start adding to your card. This will be the outline for your content. Click the card an you will notice other options. I edit the description to include any content that I want to include in my blog post. It can be a couple of sentences that I must have or keywords that I want to use.
- Once adding to the card I like to color code it so I can easily find it on the calendar. I happen to only color code tasks for my content calendar to create a difference between the family schedule and my content schedule.
- The next thing I do is create a checklist. I use this to create subheadings and note other specific topics that will be in the blog post. You can check off those items as you work through those sections.
- Afterwards, I attach any photos that I want to be in the post.
Watch the following video to see exactly how I set this up.